Double down to aid Y Annual Campaign
Last year alone, the YMCA provided more than $130,000 in scholarships to needy families that otherwise could not afford our services. Forty-two percent of the kids we serve in childcare are currently receiving scholarships or subsidy – and the need continues to grow.
One of our loyal supporters is challenging our community to ensure that our Y can continue to make a difference in the lives of so many of our neighbors. All new or increased giving over last year will be matched dollar for dollar, if the gifts are received by Dec. 21.
You can double your donation and double your YMCA’s ability to serve all the citizens of our community!
- We serve 8,000 people annually in diverse communities within Waynesboro, Augusta County and the surrounding region. We bring together young and old, men and women, people of all faiths, backgrounds and incomes. No one is turned away for inability to pay. Scholarships and outreach provide critical access to low-income families.
- We provided over $130,000 in financial assistance for children, youth and families.
Serving vulnerable populations in our community
- Children: Our YMCA serves 2,600 members – 35 percent of which are children and youth. The YMCA provides a wide range of activities to foster healthy, productive children including swim programming, youth sports, childcare, family fitness nights, and gang prevention programs. All youth activities incorporate the YMCA Core Values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Low Income Families: We are one of the largest providers of affordable childcare in the community. We offer high-quality child care to working families regardless of their ability to pay.
- Elderly: One of the fastest growing segments of our community are members over 60 years of age. We provide more than 20 hours a week of dedicated health and wellness programming specifically to meet the needs of active older adults. We’ve also made our Happy Ducks programming FREE to all participants recognizing the strain the economy has placed on those with fixed incomes.
- Disabled: Our YMCA recognizes the local need for children and adults with disabilities and coordinates an adaptive exercise program for children. We also run Area 5 Power lifting for Special Olympics and offer area elementary schools Special Ed classes free pool space.
- Active Military: Our YMCA provides free membership to active military.
- Other Non-Profits Organizations: We provide space and numerous resources for outside clubs, nonprofits, and community service organizations to help them face broader community problems.
Mobilizing community resources to meet community needs
- Locally driven: Our YMCA is managed by a local volunteer Board of Directors that utilizes community needs assessments and membership surveys for policy direction.
- Contributed income: Our YMCA received $250,000 from annual community contributions, which represents 20 percent of our total revenue.
- Volunteer hours: Last year, the YMCA mobilized over 100 volunteers to serve the community. These volunteers contributed more than 12,000 hours of service worth $140,000.
- Key Partnerships: Recognizing the importance of collaborations, our YMCA created key partnerships with the City of Waynesboro, Waynesboro Public Schools, Axia Health Management, Augusta Hospital Corporation, Boys and Girls Club, and many more.
Promoting healthy lifestyles to prevent obesity
- Health Crisis/Childhood Obesity: Our YMCA has a longstanding dedication to providing programs and services that build health of spirit, mind, and body for all. We continue this commitment today by engaging and supporting children and all health seekers – individuals of all ages who wish to pursue a healthy lifestyle, but struggle to do so.
Keep in mind that no matter what condition the economy is in, your YMCA has never turned anyone away due to an inability to pay.
If there is a need that is particularly close to your heart, you may designate your gift for a specific area of our mission. Our pledge card lists areas that you can choose to support to make your difference.
Thank you so much for your support of our YMCA by considering a gift this year. If you ever need information or have any questions at all, please don’t ever hesitate to contact me. We are here to serve you.
- Jeff Fife, executive director
- Phone: 540.943.9622
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org