This course gives lifeguard training candidates the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Lifeguarding is a professional job option. The candidate will need the maturity to handle the responsibilities of the job. The course content and activities prepare candidates to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning and other incidents. Lifeguard Training candidates who pass will receive certification in Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and Bloodborne Pathogens.
All prerequisites must be passed prior to challenging lifeguard skills. Failure of any section requires you to retake the full lifeguard course. Fees will not be returned.
- Minimum age of 15 (proof of age must be brought to the first class.
- Tread water for 2 minutes without use of hands
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards front crawl, using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kicks
- 100 yards breast stroke
- 100 yards front crawl and/or breaststroke (the last hundred yards may be a combination of front crawl and breast stroke).
- Swim 20 yards, surface-dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the starting point.
Participants must pass the entire pre-skills test in order to continue the course! Failure to pass the pre-skills test results in forfeiture of class fees.
Session 1 Session 2 Session 3 Session 4
Jan. 6th: 12:30-7pm Feb. 24th: 12:30-7 Apr.14th: 12:30-7pm May 5th: 12:30-7
Jan. 11th : 5-10pm March 1st: 5-10pm Apr. 19th: 5-10pm May 10th: 5-10pm
Jan. 12th: 9-7pm March 2nd: 9-7pm April 20th: 9-7pm May 11th: 9-7pm
Jan. 20th: 12:30-7 March 3rd: 12-30-7 April 21st: 12:30-7 May 12th: 12:30-7
* Class times may vary by session. Your instructor will inform you of any changes to this schedule
This Program is intended for those who hold current Red Cross Lifeguarding certifications, but are in need of renewal. There is a brief review of skills and updates immediately followed by water testing, CPR/first aid and Lifeguard testing. Review/ Challenges may be scheduled with the Assistant Director of Aquatics, Dan Christian at YMCA.email@example.com .